releasing / legal issues /

- open
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

releasing / legal issues /

Post by plaster »

so i was thinking about the legal issues when someone wants to release an EP or album.
what is that the artists should do to protect his rights and legal issues?
what's the standard procedure each of you do when signing a contract with a major label?

thanks in advance!
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

nobody released a thing?
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Well, signing a contract for an EP or an LP or whatever means the tracks belong to that certain label. The tracks of course belong to the artist as well. They can also be licensed on other CDs and Remix EPs and whatnot but royalties must be payed to the artist. If someone else tries to pass a track off which has been signed as their own, they've got serious trouble coming their way. You also make payment agreements...some of it goes to the artists, some of it goes for production, promotion etc. costs. And payment terms are usually seasonal depending on record sales for the most part.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i see...and how to you come to the conclusion on how much money to get for the record?
is there an generic payment method they usually have for let's say 4 track EP?
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

plaster wrote:i see...and how to you come to the conclusion on how much money to get for the record?
is there an generic payment method they usually have for let's say 4 track EP?
The amount of money you get depends on sales of the record. The label decides how the entire amount of money is divided. Usually it's somewhere around 50/50. THe artist gets half (minus production costs etc) and the label gets half...or somewhere around there. The way the money is divided is mostly up to the label. If the artist doesn't like the way the money is divided, s/he doesn't have to sign the contract, and the tracks won't be released. I am not sure if there are generic methods which labels use for release formats and the payments for them. I am pretty sure it varies from label to label. But it really all depends on how many units are sold. Of course if you sold the same amount of LPs as you did EPs, you'd get more for the LPs naturally. But in a contract, it is up to the artist to decide whether or not s/he agrees with the payment terms and whatnot.