Filosophy @ mnml.nl

- open
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Teknorich wrote:Another question - why does techno generally attract a male audience?? Is it due to the whole "male computer geek" thing, or is it more to do with machismo, and the guys wanting to dance to harder, beat driven music?? Or does this apply more to the harder styles of techno - does minimal appeal to the ladies more than, for example, schranz??

Anyone?
Well...if it helps, I'm a fairly feminine guy...I'm really sensitive, emotional and whatnot...and I don't listen to schranz...but not because I think it's macho...I just don't prefer it. I also don't prefer macho behaviour/people...but I don't really see harder music and macho behaviour tendencies directly connected.
Aron
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Aron »

Jesse Somfay wrote:
Aron wrote:When I walk into the recordstore and someone asks me if I wanna hear this new technorelease, I just spit in their face and say "I told you I only listen to minimal, biaaaaatch!" :P
Hahaha! I just go through records and people generally leave me to it. I look it most sections and I always find something nice.
I'm residing with my dad in upstate NY for a couple of weeks now. Found out about this recordstore last year, where they have any classic 70's or 80's track you've ever longed for and more. And nobody cares for it because there are practically no deejays around. I was like an alcoholic in a liquorstore, just digging away. God bless America!! Now I'm heading home with 50 new records. *sigh*

So my tip to all vinyljunkies is to go somewhere in the States to some unknown backwards town and just look under records in the Yellow Pages and booyah!

Oops, back on topic
It's nice to be minimal, but it's more minimal to be nice
Aïsh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Aïsh »

Aron wrote:
Jesse Somfay wrote:
Aron wrote:Minimal ueber alles.. *makes minimal streetsign*
Haha!

I couldn't say I'm straight up minimal ;) I'm just me.

For me, it would be 'Creativity Über Alles'.
When I walk into the recordstore and someone asks me if I wanna hear this new technorelease, I just spit in their face and say "I told you I only listen to minimal, biaaaaatch!" :P
personally i listen to everything, i love ambient, i love artists like jazzanova and lounge in general, i like french hiphop, IDM i love it all, techno (but no schranz brrrrrr), low fi....

...oh yeah and minimal too :lol:
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

I understand the necessity to attribute intelligence with that of more obscure listening habits. I struggled with properly describing this idea for a long time.

Alas, I feel quite comfortable in my conclusion. There exists a certain "tolerance" the every day person has for techno. Personally, I was quite intrigued by my first listening. I felt the need to explore the sound further...and in some sense to "figure it out".

The majority of those I personally know who are fellow techno-philes seem to share a similar level of natural curiousity/inquisitiveness as I do. Granted, almost all have at least a bachelor's degree...but it seems those who like to look for answers in some form also find minimal/noise/glitch...the most appealing form of listening.

A good track is like working out a modular arithmetic problem(for me..).

Then again, this is my take on things. Good thread.
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

So, I should add this:

As far as I see things, the nature of one's intelligence is partially determined by that person's level of inquisitiveness. Now, our approach to intelligence seems to be generally biased towards those with great memories...this is most apparent.

Thus, a perception of who may be intelligent may be skewed.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

Intelligence does help you to be more critical and think for yourself instead of just blindly swallowing...

but as said before, intelligence is about inquisitiveness
and imo also thinking independently
and that does not necessarily come with a university degree
(I have a degree and I know many people who also have one and whose narrowmindedness simply kills me...)

it's not only about knowing the dots, but also about connecting them
and unfortunately the great swallowing masses fail to do just that
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by accdntly »

Minimal techno is for smart men, house is for sexy girls, dnb is for little ghetto kids, trance is for ass-holes. Just kidding, sort of.
mymtokyo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mymtokyo »

Aron wrote:
Jesse Somfay wrote:Also, on a little bit of a different topic, I really dislike how those who aren't open minded and do not accept the existence of other kinds of music act so elitist. It's not very flattering and it can be quite annoying sometimes. If one is not open to new sounds, one will not get very far with their music. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to just shun other kinds of music completely and act as if one's own taste is the best. That way of thinking just pushes people away and will not lead to any progression in music. Plus it's no fun to be close minded in my opinion.
good call jesse ... like ure ep on archipel by the way. nice...