k i r k w o o d w e s t - the secret of the worm (slomo)

- music
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

k i r k w o o d w e s t - the secret of the worm (slomo)

Post by hydrogen »

This is some of the concepts i've been working on as of late. It is basically slow motion techno/house action with huge bass lines. Would love to hear what you guys think of this creation.

320kbps download avail. Enjoy.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
shellbound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: k i r k w o o d w e s t - the secret of the worm (slomo)

Post by shellbound »

very steady and hypnotic. the first 5 minutes were just perfect. but you started to lose me in the "outro" or whatever you want to call the part when the bass drops off. having that worked great as a build up, but after getting hypnotized by the deep bass, its lack was kind of jarring. it wasn't until a minute later, around 6:23 when you started to bring those chords back in when it started to draw me back in. i think it would sound better if you still had the chords going in the background after you drop off the bass. or at least bring them back sooner.

in any case, this was a very enjoyable listen.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

shellbound wrote:very steady and hypnotic. the first 5 minutes were just perfect. but you started to lose me in the "outro" or whatever you want to call the part when the bass drops off. having that worked great as a build up, but after getting hypnotized by the deep bass, its lack was kind of jarring. it wasn't until a minute later, around 6:23 when you started to bring those chords back in when it started to draw me back in. i think it would sound better if you still had the chords going in the background after you drop off the bass. or at least bring them back sooner.

in any case, this was a very enjoyable listen.
Thanks for the feedback! You know that dropout/drop in has been the main issues when working with this kind of stuff... getting it perfect for the dj... while still keep it interesting if its not mixed... Right at that drop off point I'm thinking it would be good to bring in the next track with the bass when djing. I guess I won't know until I have a good collection of this kind of music. but I like your suggestion, i'll try it out.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i think it's one of the better tracks i've heard from you. really like that bass. what synth is it? those pads too!

i have to agree i'm not really sure about the end. i'd be dropping the next tune just were the bassline stops.
Sicc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sicc »

Very sick work you did on this one dude. I'm a fan of the slower tempo deeper sided forms of techno and other genres and you nailed this one! lush, open, and well spread out. the bassline was very big, could have used a couple more notes through out, maybe play it for one bar, then ad a quick higher note then back down or something to that effect. The stab sound that builds up into 3:46 gets a bit grimey. i think it would be cool to here that sound with more spank, more velocity on the filter evelope. Lovely pads. nice design man.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tone-def wrote:i think it's one of the better tracks i've heard from you. really like that bass. what synth is it? those pads too!

i have to agree i'm not really sure about the end. i'd be dropping the next tune just were the bassline stops.
thanx buddy! its just the Vermona MonoLancet with some plugins on it, decapitator and slate vcc. and the synth is all Jupiter 6 run through the strymon timeline. Then in mix slight eq with Valhalla Room on top. That last synth in the end is the ESQ1 <3<3<3.
Sicc wrote:Very sick work you did on this one dude. I'm a fan of the slower tempo deeper sided forms of techno and other genres and you nailed this one! lush, open, and well spread out. the bassline was very big, could have used a couple more notes through out, maybe play it for one bar, then ad a quick higher note then back down or something to that effect. The stab sound that builds up into 3:46 gets a bit grimey. i think it would be cool to here that sound with more spank, more velocity on the filter evelope. Lovely pads. nice design man.
yes... i know exactly what you are talking about with the grime... need to tone it down in there! The cool thing is I plan on making more tracks... so I can incorporate some of these ideas in there... like the bassline suggestions. For this i wanted it more straightforward and repetitive.

I think the biggest thing after putting this up is that these tracks have really been evolving for sometime, the process keeps changing and then a new track emerges from almost the same gear. So I'm excited to have a couple hours at one time just to start another going and finishing it in the same session.
Sicc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sicc »

hydrogen wrote:
tone-def wrote:i think it's one of the better tracks i've heard from you. really like that bass. what synth is it? those pads too!

thanx buddy! its just the Vermona MonoLancet with some plugins on it, decapitator and slate vcc. and the synth is all Jupiter 6 run through the strymon timeline. Then in mix slight eq with Valhalla Room on top. That last synth in the end is the ESQ1 <3<3<3.
Sicc wrote:Very sick work you did on this one dude. I'm a fan of the slower tempo deeper sided forms of techno and other genres and you nailed this one! lush, open, and well spread out. the bassline was very big, could have used a couple more notes through out, maybe play it for one bar, then ad a quick higher note then back down or something to that effect. The stab sound that builds up into 3:46 gets a bit grimey. i think it would be cool to here that sound with more spank, more velocity on the filter evelope. Lovely pads. nice design man.
yes... i know exactly what you are talking about with the grime... need to tone it down in there! The cool thing is I plan on making more tracks... so I can incorporate some of these ideas in there... like the bassline suggestions. For this i wanted it more straightforward and repetitive.

I think the biggest thing after putting this up is that these tracks have really been evolving for sometime, the process keeps changing and then a new track emerges from almost the same gear. So I'm excited to have a couple hours at one time just to start another going and finishing it in the same session.
Right on dude. everything you just wrote reminds me of what my friend says, "Reduce, re-use, recycle." taking old concepts from tracks, importing the midi files in and the patch and twisting it into something new. helps when ive got writters block. Anyway, looking forward to hearing more tracks from you!