ShellBound - BRN [Tech-trance]

- music
shellbound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

ShellBound - BRN [Tech-trance]

Post by shellbound »

So I just finished an old track I had sitting around. It's a fairly minimal (as in, few elements) tech-trance track and some constructive criticism would be appreciated:

EDITED: ghetto "mastered" version, the same as below

Last edited by shellbound on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: ShellBound - BRN [Tech-trance]

Post by hydrogen »

totally trance! :) totally out of my genre... but i guess the bassline and kick gives that impression... Reminds me of Sasha from the late 90s. my favorite part is the breakdown... the way the bass works with the long bass kick hits. I could hear that part being slowed down a couple bpms and made into a track on its own. but the other parts i'm kinda impartial to cause of my taste. cheers!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
shellbound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by shellbound »

sasha? ouch! haha. but yeah, i'm coming more from the psy-trance background, when it comes to 4x4 music. i know this kind of stuff is not what people typically listen to or make on this board. still, i think it can be educational to get some feedback from the 'outside', so to speak. and i like this community. been lurking for a long time here.

i can see how the breakdown can be developed into it's own track. i've done that before too. in fact, the psychill slomo track on my soundcloud came about that way, working on a faster track and then branching way off when some idea popped into my head.

thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment.
shellbound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by shellbound »

fixed a few things. did a new mixdown with leaving plenty of headroom and then tried my hand at "mastering" (ozone) which was a pretty interesting experience in itself:

Last edited by shellbound on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sicc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sicc »

very nice work dude. the breakdown totally suprised me because it took the track into a whole new direction (seemingly) and it worked beautifully. and just for the record, i love psy-trance ;) very nice work dude. my only complaint would be that after the trancy pads come in and the breakdown, more energy could climax in. but it was wonderful the way it is.
shellbound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by shellbound »

Sicc wrote:my only complaint would be that after the trancy pads come in and the breakdown, more energy could climax in.
good point. i added a hat and a shaker doing straight 16ths, which is a very easy way to add drive to that section, without really doing much else.

i made another version, which is a bit brighter than what was initially posted. i updated the first post and calling this one done.

thanks a lot for your feedback.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it's good production but it's not really my thing.