Red Bull Music Academy Lecture Series - Derrick May

all interviews.
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Red Bull Music Academy Lecture Series - Derrick May

Post by Michael^Heaven »

I just found this interview/lecture. Regardless of opinions of Derrick May, this is a good watch. It starts out a bit slow but gets interesting & more in depth as it progresses. Derrick definitely touches upon some cool topics & a bit of the history of Detroit & electronic music, overall.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/vide ... at_it_isnt
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

thank you
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

I saw this a while ago.. definetely a good interview , though the interviewers of the RBMA seem to be plain annoying sometimes!
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

anizz wrote:I saw this a while ago.. definetely a good interview , though the interviewers of the RBMA seem to be plain annoying sometimes!
yeah, every interview I've seen on RBMA that dood interviewer bores me; asks the good questions, but he's got little personality. Like watching flies fck.

I met Claude Young in 99 once and he was going off on May "How the fck he call himself 'innovator' he hasn't made a track since Stings..." ha ha ha
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

dubgil2 wrote:
anizz wrote:I saw this a while ago.. definetely a good interview , though the interviewers of the RBMA seem to be plain annoying sometimes!
yeah, every interview I've seen on RBMA that dood interviewer bores me; asks the good questions, but he's got little personality. Like watching flies fck.

I met Claude Young in 99 once and he was going off on May "How the fck he call himself 'innovator' he hasn't made a track since Stings..." ha ha ha
Hahaha! I found him to be arrogant. He's pointing out good things but on the other hand he seems to just praise himself so high just because of strings of life you know
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

He comes off quite arrogant here. Him saying don't dance to your own tunes in the studio or whatever is ridiculous. Like you're supposed to be some stone cold dude in the studio with no emotion. It's dance music for fck's sake. I do agree with his thoughts on giving demos though. Overall though, I think he's full of himself here.

Honestly, I don't think I can ever watch or read another "Detroit Techno Pioneer" interview. Same story over and over.

They should interview Rod Modell. Probably my favorite Detroit producer (and a very cool and down to earth dude).