[Interview] P.Toile exclusive for MNML.nl

all interviews.
Ben
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

[Interview] P.Toile exclusive for MNML.nl

Post by Ben »

Claudia Marquardt aka P.toile is originally from Kiel, Germany. Everything started there in 1993 when she started to mess around at home with a simple mixer, a tape player and a record player. Pretty fast she got herself 2 Technics MKII and a Dj mixer and started to mix at different parties... there she found her passion.
In 1998 she opened a record shop called “Starbeat” located in Kiel, specialized in Hip-Hop and electronic music.
P.toile moved to Paris in 2001 where she started to work for Discograph (record distributor) as an Internet Editor & Coordinator and is doing the booking for the club “Lizard Lounge”. Since May 2003 she is having her own monthly night at the Club “Batofar” in Paris. A club boat on the river “Seine”. She’s also running a booking agency named Clique bookings, taking care of artists like Pan|Tone or Jeff Milligan. Her newest project is the record store “Mange Disque” in Paris, selling the music of her label friends and taking care of the order since Nov 2003.

Could you tell us about your first interest in music, what kind of music did you used to listen to at home?

My first interest in music were some classic songs in school. Freude schoener Goetterfunken from Mozart f.e. I really enjoyed playing instruments when I was little. Later my interest was going to some funky styles.. man.. my life changed when I discovered Prince, James Brown, JB’s, Bootsy Collins..

With so much negativity and criticism in the dance community with regards to drug use, money-hungry promoters and so on… how do you remain positive and focused? What's the secret to longevity in this guess-who's-hot-today society?

Just stay true with yourself, don’t hang out with assholes even if they could bring you forward for a while, but this will not last for very long. I prefer to take my time and to have something good in the end. That’s how I am living music.

Besides being a dj, label manager, record shop owner, you’re also a producer, you’ve recently released your first EP on Trenton Recs, is it something you want to do more often in the future?

Yeah.. definitely. Producing will be very important for me in the future. I have lots of labels who showed interest right after my first release, that gives me the motivation to continue. 3 songs are more or less ready and since I have serato (scratch live) I can already test my new stuff on the dance floor. I love this tool, but still nothing can beat the vinyl

You run a record shop in Paris, have you got a strict policy concerning which labels you sell and which not? And isn’t it hard to find the ideal equilibrium between more commercial records and the “underground” ones you offer?

I am not owning the record store. I was taking care of the order for the record store. (But I owned a record shop in my hometown Kiel, “Starbeat“.)
It’s called Mange Disque. A mix out of Bar-a-vin, expostions and Record store.
What I did there was ordering my favourite stuff at my favourite distributors mainly in Germany, but the main thing for me was the possibility to support my friends who are owning labels like Substatic, Festplatten, Treibstoff, Tongut, Andy Vaz Labels, Regular.. just to name a few... so I bought from them directly and always had the hottest sh!t pretty early and everyone was happy..

A while ago, some major distributors went bankrupt, fe, Intégrale Muzic. And it seems like nowadays distributors are really selective concerning distributing new releases and labels.
What’s your opninion? A good evolution?

All distributers are shxxxx anyway, something needed to change sooner or later. Actually WAS is great and really doing a good job..

Clique bookings has an impressive artist gamma (Duplex100, Stewart Walker, Triple R, Jeff Milligan, Dub Taylor,..), are there any artists you would really like to see on your roster in the future?

John Tejada!! He is a great guy and of course the producer of our time.

Besides your managements work, you also have the next 2 months 15 dj gigs all around Europe, where on earth do you get all this energy?
Do the words, “relax” or “spare time” sound familiar to you? (Laughs)

I have no idea at all. I guess I just need to take care of my health (I stopped smoking for example) and think positive, that’s the only way. But beside that I love to travel and to see different cultures. I just came back from St. Malo (near Rennes in France) and met the nicest, friendliest people ever ! I had no sleep at all and I am on my way to Italy travelling for 12h, but I found new friends and it’s so good to see the different ways to live your life…
All the Clique stuff I do out of passion. I mean all the people I am getting gigs for; I enjoy their sets, I love their music and I totally can identify myself with them... So it’s a hobby which turned into a profession.
But I need to trick myself to relax from time to time.

Can you tell us about any of your upcoming projects, collaborations or tours?

I wanna slow down with touring during the summer to focus on producing. I try to release min 2 maxis. But an American tour is planned for the fall..
What’s also in planning for this year is a big ass Clique Party in Berlin with most of our artists, but this is a bigger project and I need to find the right people to work together with..
And of course be happy with my boyfriend, he gives me most of my energy.

Thx for the feedback! Respect.

Thank you..

Some usefull links:

http://www.cliquebookings.com/
http://www.ptoile.com
http://www.trentonrecords.com/

INTERVIEW: Ben Clement, exclusive for www.mnml.nl
http://www.polarise.be
-Projecting A New Vision-
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

this is cool! a good surprise to see an interview from claudia........ she's a very cool person (on top of being a great professional in everything she's doing!), and a great DJ!
-ix
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by -ix »

Ben did it again! 8)

Great interview!
Ben
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ben »

cyhl wrote:this is cool! a good surprise to see an interview from claudia........ she's a very cool person (on top of being a great professional in everything she's doing!), and a great DJ!
I know, It's a pleasure to work with her and Clique in general.
biggest respect!
http://www.polarise.be
-Projecting A New Vision-
ganik
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by ganik »

Your interviews are really refreshing and educational, thanks 8) Great job and great interview :wink: Keep em' comming !

Njoy
multum in parvo
alfox
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alfox »

yeah ...
nice job ben

thnx 4 this
:wink:
Jens A
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jens A »

cyhl wrote:this is cool! a good surprise to see an interview from claudia........ she's a very cool person (on top of being a great professional in everything she's doing!), and a great DJ!
So true...
jamespatrick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jamespatrick »

and sooo sweet!

I really miss her and Sam..

can't wait to be on their turf this summer!